Students protest in Pulwama, demand release of colleagues
- State, Published on: Monday 1st May 17 - 9:52pm
Srinagar, May 1: Students of many educational institutions on Monday staged a protest demonstration near the Police Station Pulwama in southern district against arrest of their colleagues last week.
Reports reaching GNS said that the students of Mehjoor Memorial Higher Secondary school (MMHSS) and Government Degree College Pulwama today morning boycott their classes and took out a protest march.
The protesters were demanding release of all the students who were arrested by police week in the town.
In the meantime, some flags of Burhan Wani-the slain Hizb commander were seen hoisted in the area.
The students, meanwhile, while shouting the pro-freedom slogans marched into the Pulwama main chowk and staged a protest demonstration outside the police station.
The police and paramilitary CRPF used tear smoke shells to disperse the protesting students.
In the forces action, at least four students sustained minor injuries. However police said it exercised maximum restraint. (GNS)
- Army manhandle female members, alleges Sopore family Police registers case
- Australia fight, but South Africa still in control
- Illegal sand extraction makes Jehlum embankments breach prone
- Another Mahmudullah special helps Khulna defend 127
- Marketing, crop insurance key to restore farmers’ confidence: Mehbooba