5 policemen suspended after militants snatch service rifles
- State, Published on: Wednesday 3rd May 17 - 9:15pm
Militants snatched five rifles from police guards posted at the Shopian district court complex in south Kashmir, police said.
The militants attacked the guard room of the court complex around 9PM and snatched five self-loading rifles (SLRs) from the policemen posted there.
All the five policemen were suspended for the alleged dereliction of duty as they offered no resistance when the militants looted their weapons, they said.
Following the snatching incident, an alert was sounded in the district.
The suspended police men have been identified as Fayaz Ahmed from Kupwara, Farooq Ahmed from Srinagar, Fayaz Bhat from Kupwara, Shabir Ahmed from Pulwama and Muzaffar Ahmed from Anantnag.
The incident comes a day after militants killed five policemen, who were accompanying a district treasury van in adjoining Kulgam district.
- Several deputations meet CM Mehbooba assures to look into their demands
- Prof Bhat asks mainstream, separatist leaders to join heads for K-resolution
- Kashmir University (KU) to hold exams in Feb-Mar 2017
- Hillary reflects on loss, urges backers to ‘stay engaged’
- Hurriyat demands release of all detained students