Srinagar: A school principal and a staff member were injured in a low-intensity explosion at a school in Shiva village of Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir on Monday.

A police official said that the Principal of Government Higher Secondary School Shiva, Hoshyar Singh was sitting in the staff room along with half a dozen staff members when the inverter battery exploded.

While the principal was seriously injured in the blast, another staff member Sharifa Begum suffered minor burn injuries.

SSP Doda Muhammad Shabir Khatana said the furniture in the room had also caught fire due to the blast. “Both the injured were shifted to District Hospital Doda for treatment,” said Khatana.

However, Singh who has sustained serious injuries in the blast was shifted to Narayana Super Speciality Hospital Katra for further treatment.

He said an investigation has been initiated to ascertain the facts. “A special team including SP Operations Doda Ravinder Pal Singh, SDPO Tousif Ahmed Rishu and SI Sunil Parihar has been constituted,” he said.

A case vide FIR No 133/2018 under sections 324 RPC, Explosive Substance Act has been registered at Police Station Bhadarwah and a forensics team from Jammu has also been called.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *